Raw Kale Salad | 1. Strip the tender leaves from the tough stems of the kale; discard the stems. Rinse and dry the leaves, then roll them up and slice into thin strips. You should have approximately 5 packed cups of kale ribbons.
2. Cut the peel and pith off the oranges, then segment them by cutting between the dividers.
Discard any seeds, but reserve the juice for the vinaigrette.
3. In a medium container with a tight fitting lid, combine the vinaigrette ingredients, close the lid tightly, and shake well to combine.
Or, whisk to combine the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Add the kale, nuts, seeds, cranberries, orange segments, and crumbled feta to a large serving bowl.
Drizzle half the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding more vinaigrette if needed.
5. Wonder aloud why you didn’t make this raw kale salad sooner, then serve.
To get all of Nathan’s recipes from his new cookbook, Great Food Starts Fresh, and for more information about Chef Nathan Lyon, visit: chefnathanlyon.com
Nathan shares secrets to great food in this interview with YOGI TIMES!
| Appetizers | Entrees Raw Salads | Serves 4 | Prep. Time: 10-15 min. | Cooking Time: 0 min.
Raw Kale Salad Ingredients
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch curly kale
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped roughly
- ¼ cup toasted almonds, chopped roughly
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- ½ cup dried cranberries, preferably unsweetened
- 3 large oranges
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and diced finely (3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (from the oranges)
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil.
Raw Kale Salad Recipe from Nathan Lyon’s Cookbook “great food starts fresh”
Read more articles on kale below:
. kale and spinach turnovers
. 10 health benefits of eating kale
. crispy kale chips
. savory bread pudding with kale
. pasta with kale and walnut pesto
. kale recipes for kids
. Pineapple Cucumber and Kale Smoothie