Use any combination of vegetables you desire, such as mushrooms, spinach and carrots. In this recipe, kale was added for its amazing nutritional properties and unique tangy taste.
1. Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
Grease a two quart baking dish with butter or cooking spray. Heat olive oil over medium heat.
Saute onion until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add kale and toss until well coated with oil and kale begins to wilt.
Add broth, cover and cook until kale softens and liquid cooks off, about 3-4 minutes.
Uncover, and stir in nutmeg, salt, pepper and vinegar. Allow vinegar to cook off before removing from heat.
2. In the meantime, whisk together milk, 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 c shredded cheese, eggs, egg whites and mustard.
3. Combine kale and egg mixture. Pour over bread cubes in a large bowl. Allow to soak for 5 minutes.
4. Pour the soaked bread mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top.
Bake for about 45 minutes until set and golden brown on top. Can also be covered and stored in the fridge overnight.
Read more articles on kale below:
• raw kale salad
• kale and spinach turnovers
• 10 health benefits of eating kale
• crispy kale chips
• pasta with kale and walnut pesto
• kale recipes for kids
• Pineapple Cucumber and Kale Smoothie