It looks like you are using an AD Blocker, we understand and we would like to share that we are an online media living partly living off advertising revenues. Please turn off your blocker or Subscribe to YOGI Times and we will turn off the ADs for you for one year.
Array ( )
Ayurveda is the oldest science of healing. It is a science and art of appropriate living which helps to achieve longevity. According to Ayurveda principle there are two different treatments, one is palliative and the other one is purificatory.
To achieve a balanced state of body, mind and consciousness, Ayurveda prescribes purificatory therapy i.e Panchakarma for the cleansing of body toxins. Kativasti, a part of pre-operative procedure prior to Panchakarma is a very effective treatment for lower backache.
The waist area of the body is called Kati. Holding warm ayurvedic oils on the affected areas is called Vasti. Kati Vasti involves retention of warm thick medicated oil over the lower back or other parts of the spine for certain period.
The patient is asked to lie face down on the bed, and is applied medicated oil locally around the lumbo-sacral region. Then, a reservoir made of black gram dough is built around the lumbo-sacral area. Ensuring leak-proof, a lukewarm medicinal oil around 200-300ml is slowly poured into it.
The temperature of oil is maintained reheating and continuously adding more oil. The oil is kept on for 30-40 minutes.
Once this part of the treatment is over, the affected area may be gently massaged, followed by a steaming for 10-15 minutes for better absorption of the medicine. It is usually done in a course of 5 to 7 days as required according to Ayurveda practitioner.
Benefits of Kati Vasti:
1. Alleviates numbness due to Sciatic nerve compression & most types of low-back pain.
2. Strengthens back muscles which maintain normal curvature of the spine the bone tissues.
3. Effective treatment for any type of back pain & spinal disorders, stiffness and other back concerns related to spinal disc problems.
4. Increases the circulation in the region & highly effective in inflammatory conditions.
5. Kati Vasti alleviates lower back conditions like Lumber Spondylosis, Inter vertebral disc prolapses, Lumbago (low back ache), and Sciatica.
6. Alleviates pain associated with fracture, dislocation, spinal tuberculosis and tumors.
7. Strengthens the joints, muscles and soft tissues around and enables you to resume back your work and activities.
Kati Vasti can be taken as a preventive treatment also. It helps avoid problems related to back and keeps your spine healthy. As medicated oil gets deeply absorbed into the skin it both nourishes and strengthens the muscles and nerves. This is the one of the best treatment for healthy bone, muscle, vertebrae, spine, and nerves of lower back.
Dr Ram Mani Bhandari is an Ayurveda Specialist, Ayurveda doctor, Holistic healer, writer and consultant based in Kathmandu, Nepal. ayurmantra.com