all about lemon oil
Published: 17-03-2017 - Last Edited: 19-08-2021
The oil is extracted from the peel of the fruit.
The lemon tree hails from Asia but has been cultivated in Italy since at least the fourth century. The cleansing, purifying, and invigorating properties of lemon make it one of the most versatile oils and also one of the most purchased in the world.
• Opens the heart by alleviating fears of emotional involvement.
• Antiseptic, antidepressant, antiviral; decreases indigestion, stops bleeding.
• Research confirms that the aroma of lemon is relaxing to brain waves, which improves concentration. It was the most effective essential oil tested in reducing computer errors; those working in a lemon-scented room made less than half the mistakes of those working in unscented rooms. Because it seems to stimulate the mind while calming emotions, sniffing lemon can be helpful when making decisions.
• In Japan, the essential oil is diffused through the air systems of offices and factories because it increases concentration and the ability to memorize and noticeably reduces mistakes.
• Lemon conjures up images of freshness and cleanliness: its tangy, bright fragrance is refreshing and uplifting to the spirit. Recent research suggests that it actually enhances concentration, revives the spirits and brings alertness and mental clarity.
• Lemon oil soothes and relieves headaches and migraines.
• Known to stimulate the body’s defenses and boost the immune system – lemon has long been used to alleviate cold symptoms.
• Proven as an effective sickroom disinfectant that can also be beneficial in countering listlessness and mental fatigue.
• Lemon oil can be very beneficial to the circulatory system and aids in blood flow, reducing blood pressure and helping with nosebleeds.
• It can help bring down fever, relieve throat infections, bronchitis, asthma, and flu. It boosts the immune system and cleanses the body, improves the functions of the digestive system, and it is helpful for constipation, dyspepsia, and cellulite.
• It is also used for clearing acne, cleaning greasy skin and hair, as well as removing dead skin cells, easing painful cold sores, mouth ulcers, herpes and insect bites.
• Lemon oil can be used in blended massage oils or diluted in the bath to assist with digestive problems, lack of energy, fatigue, infections, flu, obesity, overweight, rheumatism, depression, stress and as a general tonic.
Frequently vaporized for colds, voice loss, flu, depression, stress, lack of energy, and fatigue, lemon is also reputed to relieve irritation, improve concentration, lift the spirits, clear the mind and help in decision making.
Do not use directly on skin exposed to sunlight.