I love the textures and flavors in this healthy vegetarian salad recipe. The beets are warming and offer a nice contrast to the fennel, which is cooling. The beets also fortify the blood, while the fennel cleanses the liver. The walnuts add a nice crunch and are a stimulating food for the brain. This salad can be made with or without the goat”™s cheese, depending on how heavy or light you want it.
beetroot, fennel, walnut salad ingredients
for the salad:
- 2 cups beets, steamed until just soft, cooled, and sliced
- 2 cups fennel bulbs, thinly sliced in fronds
- ½ cup walnuts, halved
- ½ cup softened goat’s cheese, crumbled (optional)
for the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (for Kapha) or maple syrup (for Pitta) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
Step 1. In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients and gently toss. In a jar, combine all dressing ingredients and shake well. Pour over salad, toss again, and serve.
Step 2. Beets are rich in folic acid, which benefit the female reproductive system. They are also good for alleviating hemorrhoids, uterine disorders, and constipation.