According to Ayurvedic principles, there are two different treatments; one is palliative and the other is purificatory.
First of all, it is essential to know that Ayurveda is the ancient science and art of healing, intended to help achieve vitality and longevity. To achieve a balanced state of body, mind, and consciousness, Ayurveda prescribes purificatory therapy called Panchakarma for the cleansing of body toxins. Kativasti, a part of the pre-operative procedure prior to Panchakarma is a very effective back pain remedy and an all-natural treatment for lower backache.
Of course, while there are things to do in your daily life, like making your core stronger, and not sitting for too long at your desk, yoga, in addition to Ayurvedic treatment is perhaps one of the best remedies and preventative measures there is. Take a look at these 5-yoga classes for back pain or this beautiful series of classes specialize for the back issues.
The waist area of the body is called Kati. Holding warm ayurvedic oils on the affected areas is called Vasti. Thus, Kati Vasti is the process of holding warm, thick medicated oil over the lower back and other parts of the spine for pain relief.
First, the patient is asked to lie face down on a comfortable surface, and medicated oil is applied locally around the lumbosacral region. Then, a reservoir made of black gram dough is built around the area. Ensuring that it is leak-proof, a lukewarm medicinal oil (around 200-300ml) is slowly poured into it. The temperature of the oil is maintained by reheating and continuously adding more oil.
The oil is kept on for anywhere from 30-40 minutes. Once this part of the treatment is over, the affected area may be gently massaged, followed by a steaming for 10-15 minutes for better absorption of the medicine. It is usually done in a course of 5 to 7 days, or as required according to the Ayurveda practitioner.
Benefits of Kati Vasti:
- Alleviates numbness due to Sciatic nerve compression & most types of low-back pain
- Strengthens back muscles which maintain normal curvature of the spine the bone tissues
- Effective treatment for any type of back pain & spinal disorders, stiffness and other back concerns related to spinal disc problems
- Increases the circulation in the region & highly effective for inflammatory conditions
- Helps with lower back conditions like Lumber Spondylosis, Inter vertebral disc prolapses, Lumbago (low backache), and Sciatica
- Ease pain associated with fracture, dislocation, spinal tuberculosis and tumors
- Strengthens the joints, muscles and soft tissues
Finally, Kati Vasti can also be taken as a preventive treatment because it promotes spine health and helps avoid back-related problems. As medicated oil gets deeply absorbed into the skin it both nourishes and strengthens the muscles and nerves. This is one of the best treatments for healthy bone, muscle, vertebrae, spine tissue, and nerves of the lower back.
Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari is an Ayurveda Specialist, Ayurveda doctor, Holistic healer, writer, and consultant based in Kathmandu, Nepal. ayurmantra.com