Prep. Time: 30 min. | Cooking Time: 110 min.
, olive oil
, pine nuts
, sea salt
Served straight out of the oven with a side of garlic
bread, this decadent lasagna will satisfy your craving for classic Italian food
- In a 9 x 12 inch baking dish, place noodles and cover with boiling water. Let sit about 15-25 minutes until al-dente. Drain and set aside.
- For the Marinara Sauce: In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil and add onion. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary and fennel, and reduce heat to low. Add tomatoes and purée, and cover loosely, simmering for 30 minutes. Add salt and cook another 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the Ricotta: In a food processor, puree macadamia nuts, water, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt for 1 minute. Scrape down sides and purée another minute. Repeat until light and fluffy. Transfer to a bowl and fold in parsley, basil, and olives.
- For the Cheese Sauce: In a dry blender, grind cashews into a fine powder. Add water, lemon juice, salt, and rice vinegar. Process until completely smooth.
- Lightly cover bottom of 9 x 12-inch baking dish with marinara to prevent noodles from sticking to dish. Arrange a layer of noodles and top with a quarter of the remaining marinara. Spread a third of the ricotta over noodles and then a third of cheese sauce. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients, sprinkle with pine nuts, and cover with foil. Place baking dish on a sheet pan to catch any drips in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes, until sauce bubbles. Cool for 15 minutes, garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot.
Allison Rivers Samson is the owner of allisonsgourmet.com
, an award-winning artisan bakery and confectionary boutique. This recipe is from her award-winning column, “Veganize it!” http://www.allisonsgourmet.com/recipes-and-writings
" in VegNews Magazine, Issue #82.
Notes & tips: As with most Italian dishes, this luscious lasagna tastes even better after the flavors are able to marinate overnight. Double the recipe and freeze one for a quick and convenient dinner that’s ready to eat.