It looks like you are using an AD Blocker, we understand and we would like to share that we are an online media living partly living off advertising revenues. Please turn off your blocker or Subscribe to YOGI Times and we will turn off the ADs for you for one year.
Array ( [cityNAME] => [cityID] => 5 [cityLINKS] => [countryCode] => [popup] => Array ( [city] => [country] => ) )$_COOKIE:
Array ( )$_POST:
Array ( )$prow:
id_posts => 1415060220 0 => many letters(content text :)) id_city => 0 1 => 0 id_category => 8 2 => 8 id_member => 1412356980 3 => 1412356980 posts_title => 10 reasons to stop taking yoga selfies 4 => 10 reasons to stop taking yoga selfies posts_content => many letters(content text :)) 5 => many letters(content text :)) posts_date => 1415060220 6 => 1415060220 posts_status => Y 7 => Y comment_status => Y 8 => Y posts_link => stop-taking-yoga-selfies-practice 9 => stop-taking-yoga-selfies-practice posts_modified => 1417417253 10 => 1417417253 jml_comment => 0 11 => 0 ord => 0 12 => 0 posts_hit => 19631 13 => 19631 posts_origin => N 14 => N writer_name => Sara 15 => Sara photographer_name => www.yogatraveltree.com 16 => www.yogatraveltree.com feature => N 17 => N ingredient => 18 => servefor => 19 => id_approve => 1285903846 20 => 1285903846 kunci => Approve 21 => Approve subposts => 22 => writer_lastname => Kleinsmith 23 => Kleinsmith photographer_lastname => 24 => notes => 25 => time_a => 26 => time_b => 27 => city_code => 10965 28 => 10965 state_code => TX 29 => TX country_code => USA 30 => USA idStates => 165 31 => 165 id_photographer => 0 32 => 0 titletag => stop taking yoga selfies practice 33 => stop taking yoga selfies practice id_edited => 2 34 => 2 id_member_edited => 0 35 => 0 keywords => yoga, selfies, practice 36 => yoga, selfies, practice img_header => 37 => img_header_mobile => 38 => thumbnail => 39 => rectangle_image => 40 => header_image => 41 => square_image => 42 => featured_home => 0 43 => 0 listicle => 0 44 => 0
Recently, there has been a lot of conversation in the yoga community about whether or not pictures of people doing Asana poses is inspiring or discouraging. While yoga selfies are great advertising tools for yoga teachers and new practitioners alike, here are the top 10 reasons to avoid capturing yoga Selfies:
1. Because "Quick, quick, take the picture!" is not a powerful mantra.
2. Because doing inversions on a railroad track can be dangerous! Haven't you seen Stand by Me or Fried Green Tomatoes?
3. Because we do not practice yoga to entertain or impress.
4. Because you could rip a hole or get dirt on your $108 Yoga pants.
5. Because that trash can lid is not as strong as it looks.
6. Because Asana practice is dynamic, fluid, movement and a picture is a still image that only captures hints of a brief moment in time.
7. Because potential students may see them and think "I can never do this."
8. Because yoga is not about how you look.
9. Because being a living example is more powerful than a picture (even one in front of a sunset).
10. Because you do not need to prove anything to anyone.
If taking yoga selfies is important to you because you feel that it is a summation of the success of your practice and you hope to share this with others, by all means, keep clicking and posting. But if you'd prefer to explore a deeper practice, try using a new filter. Pictures can be beautiful, inspiring and fun. But no matter how great they are, they will never fully capture the uncapturable experience of the practice of Yoga. Keep on inspiring in your own way, and remember to practice safe selfies (no train tracks).